Monday, February 21, 2011

February 20th, 2011

Hello from the frozen tundra,

Yes, it is full of snow and ice. I finally got my boots. So I fit in. Saturday I wore my boots and a wool hat with a brim, hood over that. Gloves and I was a happy camper. It snowed about 8 inches that day. We had some fun getting our car out as the plow pushed the snow up and blocked our way out. The car has been fabulous in the weather. We have felt very safe with the four wheel drive. It doesn’t slip on the roads at all. But today was a challenge. We have meetings that begin at 8:00 am and through the day. We end at about 4:00 pm . The members are incredibly good to us. So it really has a lot of joy with it.

Our week has been full of activities. Seminary is at 6:00 am in Juneau. They are different times in other areas. I have spoken to each of them this week. Some of them have as few as 2 in their class some as many as 20. We spoke in Sacrament meeting last Sunday and we enjoyed letting the youth know about us. I had prepared a lesson as the branch president asked us to speak two weeks before. Saturday night I just did not feel good about it. I kept struggling with it and finally worked it out and went to bed. When I got up Sunday morn. I knew I could not give it. So I prayed about it and felt to talk on honesty. So I spoke without any preparation. It was what the Lord wanted. I hope the Youth liked it. Monday is always FHE and when we are not used to going to the houses it is always a challenge. So all the newness makes it hard. Then each day is Seminary and trying to get some teachers to kick it up a notch. We are trying to work with them. The kids are so bored they sleep or zone out as I used to call it.

Institute was good. She is a good teacher and the youth are very thoughtful. I am a little concerned with it as I feel like they are competing in thinking new thoughts and therefore getting too far off base.

We did get some new items for the apartment and the company we bought it from had a woman call in and ask for some cheap stuff as they had nothing and I asked them to give it all to her. I hope they did and didn’t charge her. It will be on his shoulders if he did. So I have 5 cupboards and the office to clean. I have to start cooking now and I got informed that we were expected to provide food at institute. So here it comes. I don’t mind. Where is the boxed cake cookie recipe that everyone talks about that is supposed to be good? I will put that out there and hope I get a good one.

We heard a good one this week. We said it was going to be nice today. We saw blue clouds. And we were corrected it is “sucker hole”. You think it is going to be nice and you plan and it rains on you, you sucker! Funny!

We also heard that the driving to the north is called “out the road”. It means there is no city or name for it so anything with no name is “out the road” We now know where out the road is. Funny!

We were invited to Yakutat to visit the seminary there. She said bring your jeans and your extra toughs (rubber boots) and we can hike in. Great! It was a warm invitation. Doesn’t sound good to me. She said she would take us camping. I never did like camping and roughing it. So that is our week. Life is good. It’s not home but we can do anything with the help of the Lord. We are making friends and they are kind to us. We miss you all. We love being able to serve.

Have a happy week.
Omi, Grandpa, Mom and Dad
We love you all!