This morning in the Schindler household (in Alaska) you would see Baldur wrapping presents (an unusual activity for him), and Nancy making rolls for the Young Adult Christmas dinner. There is a small tree here and lights, with Christmas music playing. Nice, huh? There is Christmas and celebration even in Juneau, Alaska.
Our month has been full and busy. We have trained teachers and they are wonderful teachers even without us. Our work is easy. Our institute teacher has had a terrible accident in her family and I have taught for her. Her two sons were coming back from target practice and one driving, another setting his 45 pistols and it went off. It damaged his leg so badly that he is this morning on his 9th operation. His leg has been amputated above the knee (after 3 amputations) He is 28 years old. Sad!
Our days are full and busy with our assignments. We love the youth.
Alaska is quite a different world. They can celebrate Christmas here and wish everyone Merry Christmas and still be politically correct. There are many who do not worship the Savior but the ones that do have not fought in the courts to illuminate it. We were out looking at lights and in front of us was a fire engine with Christmas lights all around it, occasionally blasting a short siren. Then there were 4 firemen walking along with Santa in the middle, waving at the children in windows and talking to the ones that came out to greet him. We found out that they do this in all the neighborhoods. Imagine them doing this in California? Not! It was a rainy cold night and they did it anyway.
The Alaskans do everything in the rain. It is like they don’t even feel it. Yesterday it was 45 degrees and raining, the wind blowing. I don’t like to go out in it but you would just stay home all the time. The snow has about all melted down except where the plows have pushed big mountains of it. Even they are receding.
It seems like there will be no snow for Christmas. I thought I would have a white Christmas instead we need an ark!
It is the first Christmas I have ever had that I will not have family with me. When we were first married for the two years without Sheila (our first) we were at home taking turns at our parents homes. Then we moved to Connecticut and had Sheila before Christmas and since that day we have not had a Christmas without our Children ever. Yes, this is a very lonely Christmas. When Elder Holland spoke that the family would do fine without us on a mission he forgot to mention that we don’t do so well without them.
Now lest you think we are so sad I will tell you we are doing well. In the Ensign this month there is the First Presidency Message and it is on Gratitude. I loved it. (I have attached it if you want to read it) And if you turn the page there is an activity for the Youth. This is the way to fight the blues. It says: “Take a Gratitude Challenge. List 100 things you are thankful for, if that sounds like it is too many, try this:
1. Write 10 Physical abilities you are grateful for.
2. Write 10 material possessions you are grateful for.
3. Write 10 living people you are grateful for.
4. Write 10 deceased people you are grateful for.
5. Write 10 things about nature you are grateful for.
6. Write 10 things about today you are grateful for.
7. Write 10 places on earth you are grateful for.
8. Write 10 modern inventions you are grateful for.
9. Write 10 foods you are grateful for.
10. Write 10 things about the gospel you are grateful for.
When we make a list like this, we discover that a list of 100 doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of all the things God has given us. “ Ensign, December 2011
So when I find myself blue I start thanking and immediately the blues leave and I am good to go. Thank you to who ever wrote that little trick. If they only knew how it helps to overcome that terrible self pity. You can’t be selfish and and grateful at the same time. So I share that little life-changing trick.
Our youth made a bulletin board in the church and each person of the group was to bring a picture of them to put on the board. The boys of whom there are about 20 put pictures of themselves hunting with their kill or furs or whatever. One young man couldn’t compete with the guns and dressed up and held a light saber from star wars. None of the young women had put up a picture. So I thought I would strike one for the feminine side of the group and took one with the bear I loved. So I am including that picture with this letter.
Baldur’s picture was taken a couple of weeks ago at the glacier. It was magnificent. So is he! What can I say?
Have a Merry Christmas all. We love you. We love the Lord and our God. May the season bring many warm remembrances and gratitude to your heart.
Mom and Dad, Omi and Grandpa
