Today we are in Craig AK It really is on the Prince of Wales Island. We have a seminary in Klawock, which takes in Craig and Klawock. There are 7 students that are 4 bigger than last year. We had the opportunity to train the teachers yesterday afternoon. It was the Branch President and a Member. They are team teaching. I worried how receptive they would be and they were wonderful. We felt like we were doing what we were sent to do.
Our month has been a busy one as we have trained and had assignments to speak and traveled. We still have about a month of travel as we get to all the outlying branches.
Last night we had a huge wind storm (rain also of course) I don’t know how fast but about 50 or 60 miles per hour. It really hit about 5:15 and I woke up to no power and a huge banging of a tree on the lodge. We are in a fishing lodge. It was about the only place to stay that was good. Recommended by the Branch Pres. They cancelled Seminary so we slept in and took a long drive to Coffman Cove. On this island there is a place to drive too.. Not much there but a place to go. We couldn’t even find a store of any kind. We kind of wanted to see the damage from the storm. Not as much as we expected.
In South East Alaska the trees are very shallow rooted. They have no dirt. Only about 6-12 inches. So the roots spread out but not deep. I am attaching a picture of a tree that was blown over. It was about 50 feet tall. Then there was a whole group blown over. It was amazing. We saw many many little deer. They are really little here. They were all over the side of the road. It was a nice drive, about 50 miles each way. It is very unusual to be able to go so far on these islands. We could have gone farther. Nice. In Juneau we feel a little land locked.
We had Zone conference this last week. Elder Walker was our Visiting Authority. He was great. He taught so well. But let me share with you what I learned that will stay with me forever. I wish I had learned it sooner. Now I will give the clue to you as you serve in your callings. He was teaching the missionaries with a power point and would talk about a topic, use scriptures and then (and this is the lesson) he would turn to Pres. Beesley and say, “President, did you have anything you would like to add,” He did this with each topic as he taught. It made the Pres. Fulfill his calling and have the privilege of teaching his missionaries and then it made the missionaries respect Pres. Beesley. Sometimes Pres. Beesley talked and added something and sometimes he didn’t, but the offer came. I will never teach the same way again when I am in a room with a higher authority or someone in authority over that group. It was humbling to hear a general authority who could be caught up in his own self and knowledge, kindly guide us all and train us so well. May each of you learn this lesson as you are in your various callings and have the opportunity to Respect a leader.
As for the two of us, we are doing fine. The early morning is not my happy part but we are doing it. We have had the spirit with us so much and we have been blessed to be able to serve better each day. Last Sunday we were asked to speak on faith, atonement and forgiveness, 10 minutes each. Isn’t that funny. So I pondered and pondered it. I just couldn’t get it. Baldur had his and was all good. So I took my computer on the ferry and decided to work on the talk, as it was really the only time I had. I did a talk trying to apply the atonement in the home. I worked about an hour and then just closed it up and sat there. Talked with Baldur a little about it and thought, thought, thought. Finally I was prompted to talk about being kind in the home. Does that sound like what I was asked to speak on? No! I prepped that a little bit. Not much and kept getting the impression to speak by the spirit. So the meeting begins and the bishop takes 15 min and by the time it came to us we had 6 min between us. I had a quote Ron used in the temple by President Lee and one by President Hinckley about kindness. I used those and an experience of a young man sitting on the ferry with his family, (he was about 13) and his little sister coming up to him and saying, “Your ugly”! The spirit was so strong and I knew that that was what I was supposed to speak on. Poor Baldur ended up baring his testimony. But it was all the right thing. God blesses you to help his children. Later a member of the bishopric told us that it was a major concern of the bishop in their meeting last week. It really doesn’t matter who you are God teaches and helps his children and covers their needs if we listen.
Tomorrow we catch the ferry to Ketichan, (about 3 ½ hours) at 7 in the morning. So it is an early morning again. We are about an hour away from the ferry. I will be at woman’s conference while you are there. Think of me! We will listen together.
Love to you all,
Mom and Dad
