We have had a busy week. Dad taught and I taught.
I was really happy to teach. The kids know me now a little better and it helps me function in the love department to them. The lessons went well. Seminary is still going on and on and on! I will be glad for the end. I really hate that early morning stuff. It will feel nice to feel normal again.
Tonight we went to a member baptism where a young man in Seminary was a speaker for his sister on the Holy Ghost. His parents wanted us to come hear him. This week we were asked to go to a track meet to see another seminary student compete by his parents. So I guess we are making a bit of a difference. They seem to want us there.
The track meet was with a blue sunny day just magnificent. So not only did we see three students but enjoyed the day in the sun.
Today after church we took a ride to see the countryside and stopped and watched (from the car) the people at the beach on Douglas Island. The Beach is about the size of Ponto on the south side. Not very big and that is about all the real beach I have seen here. There are some rocky ones but difficult to play on. It was about 59 degrees and the wind was blowing. Not particularly warm. But to Alaskans it was full blown summer. They were in their shorts with sweatshirts and in the very cold water. I think about 40 degrees. No matter, they were flying kites, running in the water, picnicking, having fires and just enjoying the day.
I saw daffodils blooming and some tulips. I have found one tree that is blooming. Any little color is a delight.
I was so interested in the kids playing. The beach looked like mud (tide was out) but the kid’s feet and body was not dirty. I was amazed. They were digging in the mud making mud pits and everything. They were not dirty. A lady drove up and parked by us and I asked her why. She said she had never thought about it that was normal to her. She said it just doesn’t stick. She said it consisted of mine tailings and glacier silt. Amazing, huh?
We also saw some birds we had never seen before. They were Surf Scoters. They have a wide bill like a duckbill platypus and white spots on a black body. We saw hundreds of them in the one little spot. I got out to take a picture and scared them so my picture was not too good.

The Skunk Cabbage is growing tall. It is amazing. Look it up on the Internet. It is bright yellow and it really stands out.
Baldur was in seminary this week and looked out the window and a black bear was looking in at them. The windows in the church are low to the ground about 24 inches up and he could really see the bear. It crossed the parking lot and went up the hill into the trees. He tried to take a picture but was not really successful. It was an exciting moment in the class as you might guess.
I have loved the young adults and helped them with their problems. The number has grown to about 100 as all the college students are here to work and care for the tourist. The ships are arriving. The skies are buzzing with helicopters and float planes. Funny, we drive downtown to look at the tourist. They come to see Alaskans. I guess it is a win-win situation. The whole town has to make its years money in three months, so it is long hard days for those workers. It does provide them with work and money for school.
Seminary ends in five days. Young adults stay the same but our responsibility diminish so the summer will have some interesting times for us. We will see what the days bring.
We love the gospel of Jesus Christ and serving our youth the best we can. We don’t know how much good we do but we are doing our best. We wish you all joy as you to do the service you can.
We love you,
Mom and Dad, Omi and Grandpa